11

Saturday 6 April 2013

Think outside Photoshop - new image editing concept

Think outside Photoshop - new image editing concept:

Russian translation and discussion: Habrahabr.ru

I love Adobe Photoshop. I really do! I have been using it daily for about 10 years. One cannot over-estimate its influence on the world of image editing - which, in many ways, defines how the world around us looks! I'm sure that right now, in your room, there is at least one thing partly designed in Photoshop. All the images in this article were prepared in Photoshop!

In its market, Photoshop is King. You can also call it "standard" (which is mostly good) or "monopoly" (which is mostly bad). But the fact remains - if you work with image editing, you must think in Photoshop's terms and follow its workflows.

Photoshop is not the most complex piece of software (because, let's be fair, digial imaging is not the most complex thing of all). However, it is quite complex, for several reasons. First, it can really do many things. But also, because it is very old, almost as old as I am! This long history of development means Photoshop did not have a chance to re-think any of its core ideas and start some things from scratch. You know,
compatibility; and besides, why fix something that works!

image

Images by about.com

However, recently an idea came to me that's been bugging me, asking to be written and published. So I am writing it here without any specific goal or wish - just because I'd love to share and see what you think. Nothing can be better than an interesting discussion! (Hint - comments are welcome!)

No comments:

Post a Comment